Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day #3 of my New Job....

 I want to explain to you how small my office it.  Think Tom Hanks in Apollo 13. Think lunar module. Now reduce that a bit and add in 2 desks. The office has 5 things in it: 2 desks, one computer, a printer and a chair. Oh, make that 6 because it also has a space heater. While not quite as cold as the unheated bathroom in the hallway, you can see your breath in the office and could use the closet to chill a bottle of wine. I will look into this and report back.

Yesterday I expected to go to work and sell some stuff for my boss on Ebay. I was going to be selling stethoscopes because really? Who needs five? Instead, after I chipped the ice formation off the lock and entered, one hip at a time, I found that my boss was away and had left me actual work to do. Since this was my third day on the job, I felt a little proud that he thought I actually knew what I was doing. I plugged away at the inquiries he had left me (that's what he calls them) but even with the space heater turned up to broil, I found myself dozing off, like the heriones in Lifetime movies where they are so cold they have lost their will to live and you are yelling at them from the couch, Don't go to sleep!  Shawn isn't really your brother! You can marry him after all without having to move to West Virginia! Like that. 

I ungarled my tortured hands and went across the street to buy coffee. This isn't something I can do everyday: a cup of coffee is a huge percentage of my hourly wage, and since I was looking for an alternative to volunteering, I will need to break myself of this habit. But like the skier rescued from the avalanche, I needed to get some hot liquid into my body before my tracheal tube froze solid. Did I mention that my office is cold?! 

Back in the office, I attemped to jog in place to keep warm but kept bumping into things. I finally put on my coat, wrapped my hands around my coffee to thaw, and worked away. I wonder if the AC works any better than the heat does.....

Stay tuned for day #4.....

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blog world! It will take up much more time then you have and you'll love every minute wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about day 4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brava Chica! Thanks for squeezing us into the office too.

      Delete
  4. On a positive note, if the AC works as good as the heat, you'll be sweating off the pounds and your skin will be glowing!

    ReplyDelete