Thursday, January 24, 2013

Disaster Dressing....Just Say No!

So I'm packing for a weekend in New England to visit my sisters - Newburyport, MA and Stratham, NH to be exact. I was talking to one of them about whether or not we would work out. I can't imagine going three days without doing something but it was -3 degrees at her house this morning, so I'm wondering about an inside session. I was saying that I hate how much room my sneakers and workout stuff take up when you are trying to do carry-on only when she said, Oh, I always wear my sneakers. And then she launched into her Oprah-inspired bit about how tie shoes  are the best shoes to wear if the plane crashes because they don't come off your feet, and how she wears 100% cotton because it won't adhere to your skin in case of fire.....I had to interrupt. Girl? I said. I'm sure you have some good points, but I'm not dressing for disaster. 

Nope, it's cute outfits all the way. And if I go down in fiery crash and they are trying to identify me, I want the conversation to go something like this:

Jet Blue Employee #1 -That body is missing its head. 
Jet Blue Employee #2 - I see that. But look at the cute outfit. Do you think she got it at Marshals? 

Not only am I celebrating not having the flight attendant ask me if I want the seat belt extender, but I intend to sport a cute outfit, complete with boots guaranteed to go flying off on impact.  I did not work my butt off for the last 2 years to be rocking sneakers and a sensible natural fiber ensemble.  No ma'am. 

Which brings me to my point: it's really more of a philosophy than a clothing choice, isn't it? You're either dressing for disaster or you're not. Don't dress for disaster. You never know...life is short....grab the bull....choose your pithy one liner and insert it here. But think about it: you absolutely never know who you are going to meet when you are traveling, so why not bring it, outfit-wise? If you are single, like my sister, you could be sitting next to your future life partner. If you aren't looking for love, you could be sitting next to the casting director for the upcoming Real Housewives of Manassas show. Or the person who vets interviewees for "O" magazine (well, not the one who did the What to Wear When Traveling piece...).  The possibilities are endless! 

I get dressing for comfort - long lines, big crowds, small seats - none of these situations are made any more enjoyable with the addition of control top pantyhose, back-fat grabbing strapless bras, wedgie-inducing slacks or hemlines that require constant tugging.  But you don't need to dress like you've just lost your life savings and are going to live with your ex brother in law in exchange for helping him with the pigs, either. 

Not me. I'm dressing like I'm off to close The Big Deal.  And the Big Deal is? Getting to spend the weekend with family I adore.  Getting to celebrate a weekend that is sure to be filled with laughter, good food and lots of love. So there's no way I'm dressing for disaster en route.  Because whether I get there or not, I headed for a really good time. 

3 comments:

  1. My friend Debbi Cali recommended this blog and I'm glad she did. I couldn't agree more! Dressing for disaster is like calling it into your life. Cute boots all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love your post! I'm with you all the way. I lost some weight too since we saw each other last, and I am sure enjoying dressing for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm totally paranoid about flying and not even *I* dress for disaster! However, I've seen plenty of people dressed *like* a disaster in airports, so maybe the two are related? :-)

    ReplyDelete