Monday, January 14, 2013

Recipe: 7-Can Soup

So how are you all doing with Detox January?  Yeah, me, too. Once you get used to having cookies for breakfast or eating entire batches of homemade Chex Mix before going to the party, it's hard to stop. And c'mon! Superbowl Sunday is just weeks away! And it's in the Constitution of the United States that you have to eat the amount of cheese equal to your birth weight that day - so why bother getting on board now? 
Because you have to, that's why.  Wake up, America. And put down the cookies. 

So here's a "recipe" to get through hump January, called 7-Can Soup. It's an old Weight Watchers favorite and people are always texting me (usually from the grocery store!) because they can't remember the 7th can. It's a great, easy soup to make on a Sunday and take for lunch throughout the week. The downside is that it makes a ton, so if you are the only one eating it, it become the winter equivalent of zucchini from your garden - you're leaving some on neighbor's doorsteps in the middle of the night, or asking perfect strangers on the elevator at work if they've brought their lunch, then shoving plastic containers of it into their unwilling hands. But you can also use it to make new friends and that's nice. 

I don't have the WW points for it because I follow Old School Weight Watchers and never transitioned to the new system. I don't trust it: if I had eaten all the fruit and vegetables I wanted, I wouldn't have gotten into this situation in the first place. So some person less lazy and more driven can figure out the points. And for everyone, it's just yummy. 

7- Can Soup

One can (regular size - 14 oz-ish) of the following:

-low sodium beef broth 
-fat-free refried beans
-diced tomatoes (any)
-black beans or kidney beans, your choice
-can of chicken (I know, who knew chicken came in a can? Obviously, you can use the equivalent amount of cooked chicken but then I'd have to change the recipe name)
-corn
-salsa (about 1/2 a jar)

I also like to add  a small can of chill es.  Throw all ingredients into a big pot and stir. Let heat through, about 10 minutes, to let the flavors mingle.  A friend omits the chicken as adds turkey kielbasa sliced. Go to town and make it your own. 

And remember: The photo shoot for the Sports Illustrated Bathing Suit Edition is coming up and, if they have an Over 50 edition, I want in - don't you?  I've already had an offer to be the centerfold in Shar pei Monthly and could so give those wrinkly dogs a run for their money! Meanwhile, eat some soup.....

1 comment:

  1. I have heard about this soup -- I think I'm going to try it (even if Detox January is over). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete